These days it’s easy to feel disconnected from our bodies. What if I told you that there is a way to reconnect with yourself? To let go of the world outside and find a sense of freedom and joy within your own home? Ecstatic dance is a form of free-form movement that is about letting go of self-consciousness and judgment. Allowing yourself to be fully present in the moment. It’s a way to release bubbled-up energy, relieve stress, and tap into your creativity. This is a journey of self-discovery, a dance with yourself. In this post, we will explore the beauty of ecstatic dance and show you how to create your own ecstatic dance practice at home
What is Ecstatic Dance?
Ecstatic dance is a free form dance where a dancer is connected with the sound of music without any restrictions or pre-established steps. By simply moving through the sounds, the dancer is able to reach a meditative state, ecstasy and finally trance. Although there is no specific music- since the ecstatic dance has been practiced as a part of ceremonies for thousands of years. There are many playlists to choose from (I’ll leave some of my favorite songs later).
How To Do it?
Getting started with ecstatic dance at home is easy and can be done with just a few simple steps.
- Find a space in your home where you can move freely and comfortably. Clear away any furniture or objects that might get in the way.
- Put on some music that speaks to you and makes you want to move. It can be any genre or style, as long as it resonates with you.
- Set the mood with dim lighting or candles, if you like.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to center yourself.
- Allow your body to move however it wants to. There is no right or wrong way to move in ecstatic dance. Let go of any self-consciousness or judgment and just let your body be free.
- Trust the process and let yourself be fully present in the moment. Allow the music and your body to guide you.
- Allow yourself to fully feel the sensations and emotions that come up, and let go of any judgments or thoughts about them.
- Keep dancing for as long as you like, and when you’re ready, take a few moments to breathe and come back to the present.
My Ecstatic Dance Playlist:
Remember, ecstatic dance is all about letting go of self-consciousness and judgment and being fully present in the moment. And since there’s no right or wrong way to move, don’t worry about looking silly or doing it wrong. Trust the process and enjoy the experience!