The bright afternoons slowly transition into mellow evenings, painted with the warm hues of the setting sun, bidding a soft, lingering farewell to the long summer days. Each sunset seems to hold its breath a little longer, an enchanting mix of vibrant oranges, purples, and reds melting into each other, like a watercolor dream. It’s the summer’s end.
Yet, as summer’s warmth wanes and life’s rhythm picks up, there’s magic in these transitional times. It’s in these quiet moments of change, when summer is not entirely gone and fall has not yet fully arrived, that we find an invitation for reflection, for self-care, and for soaking in the lingering sweetness of the season.
In this blog post, we’ll talk about how to nourish our sun-kissed skin, preserve the remnants of our cherished tan lines, dive into the last chapters of our summer reads under the dwindling twilight, and more. Join us as we embrace and celebrate this glorious season’s end.
1. End of Summer Skincare: Restoring and Revitalizing Your Skin
As the sun-kissed days of summer gently make way for the soothing breeze of fall, it’s time to lavish your skin with some extra care. While we might miss the playful summer days, your skin might need a break from the harsh sun rays and other environmental stressors. Here’s a lineup of powerhouse ingredients and tips to help you transition your skincare routine and restore your skin’s natural glow at summer’s end.
- Zinc Oxide: Sunscreen isn’t just for summer. Zinc oxide-based sunscreen blocks UVA and UVB rays, preventing sun damage. Choose SPF 30 or higher for daily use. we like this one by COOLA.
- Vitamin C and E: These antioxidants protect your skin from discoloration and stimulate collagen production. Use a serum with both vitamins daily for a brighter complexion and fewer fine lines.
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHAs): AHAs can help with oily skin and acne that can linger after summer. They remove oils from pores and can prevent acne. Still, they increase sun sensitivity, so use them cautiously and apply sunscreen.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Essential for hydration, hyaluronic acid moisturizes without clogging pores. Apply twice daily after cleansing. We use this one from The Ordinary.
- Bee Products: Propolis and royal jelly can limit acne and normalize sebum secretion. They are valuable additions to your skincare routine.
- Growth Factors: These “messenger proteins” can reverse sun damage.
With some help from these power-packed ingredients and tips, you can preserve your summer glow and greet the fall with beautifully radiant skin.
2. Preserving Your Tan: Extending the Life of Your Summer Glow
As summer days gradually fade, many of us hold on to one sun-drenched souvenir – a beautiful tan. If you’ve been blessed with a sun-kissed glow and want to keep it as the seasons shift, here’s your guide to preserving that summer radiance.
As summer slips away, our sun-kissed tan becomes a cherished memento. Here’s a list of essential tips to keep your summer glow longer:
- Hydrate from Inside Out: Drinking ample water nourishes your skin from within, keeping it plump and healthy. Complement this by applying a moisturizer regularly to prevent flaking, which can cause your tan to fade prematurely.
- Gentle Exfoliation: Contrary to popular belief, exfoliating your skin can help your tan appear brighter and last longer. It removes dead skin cells, letting your tan shine. But remember, moderation is key. Too much exfoliation can strip away your tan instead of preserving it. Check out our DIY coffee body scrub!
- Tanning Serums and Lotions: Numerous products on the market are designed to deepen and prolong your tan. Consider incorporating tanning serums and self-tanning lotions into your skincare routine to maintain that sun-kissed look.
- Lukewarm Showers: Hot showers can dry out your skin, leading to faster peeling of tanned skin. Stick to lukewarm water instead to maintain your tan’s lifespan.
- Wear White: Emphasize your tan by wearing white. The contrast makes your tan appear darker and more prominent.
With these tips and mindful practices, you can keep the story of your summer adventures alive through your radiant, enduring tan.
3. End of Summer Reads: Relaxation and Personal Growth Between Pages
The end of summer presents an opportune moment to indulge in reading. Not only can it provide a tranquil way to spend your longer evenings, but it’s also an activity that promotes relaxation and fosters personal growth. Here’s why:
A good book can be an escape, taking you on journeys you may not otherwise experience. It’s a way to lose yourself in other worlds, lives, and perspectives. Beyond mere escapism, deep immersion in a narrative allows you to momentarily disconnect from your daily routine, easing tension and stress. This mindful relaxation can be a form of self-care, enhancing your well-being as summer transitions into fall.
End of Summer Book Picks:
The choices for great end-of-summer reads are as varied as our individual tastes. Here are a few recommendations that encapsulate the spirit of the season:
When Kathleen Deane’s husband throws a curveball about his unhappiness, she swings for a new life in a small East Coast beach town, Whitbey. But, instead of a serene coastal fairytale, she lands in a comedic circus, tackling a grouchy neighbor, a ghosting town supervisor, and the looming shadow of a gargantuan holiday home next to her cute little cottage.
This book truly tickled my funny bone! As Kathleen tries to reorient her life and chase happiness, her journey to Whitbey is nothing short of hilarious. Her battle against the atrocious ‘Sugar Cube’ next door and the relentless town politics had me rolling with laughter. It’s a delightfully cheeky look at life in a beach town that feels all too relatable.
Reading this book felt like I was on a sun-drenched vacation in the Italian mountains! The author brilliantly captures the essence of Umbria’s rustic charm, from the vibrant markets to the tranquil village life. It’s truly a masterpiece that lets you experience Italy without leaving your comfy reading nook!
Remember, the true magic of reading lies not in the number of books you’ve read but in the quality of the experience and the lessons you take. Happy reading!
4. Bask in Nature’s Gym: Embrace Outdoor Workouts
As summer cools into autumn, let the great outdoors become your gym. It’s not just a change of scenery but an avenue for numerous health benefits. Outdoor workouts enhance mood, improve balance and coordination with varied terrains, increase lung capacity with fresh air, and allow sun-induced Vitamin D synthesis for healthy bones and immunity.
Embrace the versatility of outdoor exercises that cater to different preferences and fitness levels:
- Running or Walking: Tailored to your fitness ability, these activities boost cardiovascular health and let you enjoy the beauty around you.
- Cycling: Explore new trails and keep your workouts engaging with this low-impact exercise, suitable for all fitness levels.
- Yoga: Practicing yoga outdoors connects you deeper to your surroundings, enhancing tranquility in your routine.
- Swimming: If you’re near a safe body of water, enjoy this total-body workout that’s both cooling and therapeutic.
- Bodyweight Exercises: Use outdoor fitness equipment in parks or do push-ups, burpees, or lunges anywhere.
Outdoor workouts are more about the journey than the destination. Soak in nature’s charm while nurturing your well-being.
5. Summer Breeze, Don’t Leave: Capturing Summer Scents
Even as summer days fade, the essence of this vibrant season doesn’t have to. One way to keep the spirit of summer alive is by encapsulating its scents using candles, essential oils, and diffusers. Here’s how:
Recreate Summer with Candles and Essential Oils
Scented candles and essential oils can evoke memories and emotions tied to specific aromas. Choose summer-inspired fragrances to help you recall those sun-soaked days.
- Citrus Scents: Lemon, orange, or grapefruit candles and oils are perfect for mimicking summer’s zestiness. They invigorate the senses and create an upbeat environment.
- Floral Notes: Jasmine, rose, or lavender brings the blooming gardens of summer indoors. They induce calm and tranquility, making them perfect for relaxation.
- Oceanic Fragrances: Candles or oils with sea salt, ocean breeze, or sandalwood scents capture the essence of a beach getaway. These scents can recreate a serene and soothing coastal ambiance.
6. Savor the Sun: Mindful Eating in the Open-Air
There’s something inherently beautiful about dining under the open sky, where each bite is accented with the soft rustle of leaves and the warmth of sunshine. Eating outdoors offers a sensory delight and an excellent opportunity to practice mindfulness, heightening the joy of your meal.
Mindful eating is all about being present in the moment, savoring your food with all your senses, and acknowledging your meal’s journey from the Earth to your plate. It helps you listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues, appreciate your food more, and even aid digestion and satisfaction.
A Feast Under the Sky: Mindful Outdoor Dining Tips
To elevate your outdoor eating experience, consider these tips:
- Disconnect to Connect: Leave behind distractions, especially electronic devices. Focus instead on the connection with nature, your food, and yourself.
- Savor Every Bite: Engage all your senses. Notice the colors, textures, and scents. Take small bites and chew slowly, savoring the flavors.
- Gratitude Practice: Acknowledge the effort that went into preparing your meal. This can enhance appreciation for your food.
- Breathing Breaks: Between bites, take deep breaths. This helps slow down your eating pace and increases mindfulness.
Eating outdoors while practicing mindfulness creates a perfect synergy between our inner selves and the natural world, enriching the dining experience and adding a sprinkle of magic to the end of summer.
7. Walking Meditation & Dolce Far Niente
As we transition from summer into the hustle of autumn, keeping pockets of serenity within our reach is essential. Walking meditation, an exercise of mindfulness in motion, offers such an oasis of calm. This practice transforms into a soothing balm for the soul when blended with the concept of “dolce far niente”—the sweet art of doing nothing.
Walking meditation is a gentle way to nurture mindfulness and physical wellness simultaneously. As you focus on each step and breath, it helps declutter the mind, promoting mental clarity. Physically, it encourages better posture, enhances circulation, and is a low-impact workout.
Embracing ‘Dolce Far Niente’ through Walking Meditation
- Choose Your Path: Select a peaceful spot where you can walk undisturbed. It could be a quiet part of your local park, a serene beach, or even your backyard.
- Set Your Pace: Begin walking slowly and naturally. Let the rhythm be easy and unhurried as you savor the art of doing nothing.
- Focus on the Steps: Pay attention to the sensation of each step, the shifting of your weight, and the gentle sway of your arms.
- Breathe Mindfully: Synchronize your breath with your steps. Breathe in as you step forward, and exhale as your foot lands.
- Embrace the Silence: Let go of any urge to fill the silence. Allow yourself to just observe your surroundings without analysis or judgment.
- Return Gently: Stand still for a few moments when your walk ends. Take a deep breath and carry this newfound tranquility into the rest of your day.
By blending walking meditation with ‘dolce far niente’, we embrace an effective yet serene way to carry the tranquility of summer into the upcoming seasons. It’s a simple, sweet practice, offering moments of calm amidst life’s constant motion.
8. Grounding Rituals: The Healing Power of Earthing
Earthing, also known as grounding, is a therapeutic technique involving physical activity reconnecting us to the Earth. It’s based on the theory that our bodies are meant to contact the Earth regularly.
The principle behind earthing lies in the energy exchange between our bodies and the Earth. By physically connecting with the ground—grass, sand, or soil—we absorb the Earth’s natural electric charge. Advocates believe this can reduce inflammation, improve sleep, less stress, and a general sense of well-being.
Simple Connections: Incorporating Earthing into Your Routine
Adding earthing to your routine can be as simple as walking barefoot in your garden, sitting on the grass in a park, or dipping in the sea. Make it a part of your daily or weekly routine, allowing it to become a quiet time of connection and grounding.
As summer draws closer, embrace these last few moments to connect physically with nature. Ground yourself in the here and now, soaking in the energy of the Earth and carrying it with you into the changing season.
9. Summer in a Jar: Healthful Harvest Preserving
Preserving the season’s bountiful harvest need not be a high-sugar affair. Take jam-making, for instance. This age-old process of conserving the sun-ripened goodness of fruits can be a healthful, enriching end-of-summer ritual.
The art of jam-making allows us to capture the essence of summer fruits and extend their ephemeral delight. And with mindful tweaking, we can create healthier versions of traditional jams. Try a simple recipe with strawberries as the star ingredient, sweetened naturally with honey and thickened with chia seeds. This nutrient-packed trio lends itself to a wholesome jam low in sugar but high in flavor, fiber, and antioxidants.
The process of preparing your jam serves as a grounding activity. It calls for slowing down, connecting to the Earth’s offerings, and savoring the present moment. As you stir the bubbling mixture, let the aroma transport you to the heart of summer, imprinting this sensory memory into your consciousness.
As the seasons shift, these jars of healthful summer preserves become poignant reminders of warmer days. They stand ready to adorn your autumn breakfasts with a sweet touch of sunshine, carrying the spirit of summer into the cooler months. Engage in this mindful practice of jam-making, a delightful, healthful way to prolong the joys of summer throughout the year.
Final Thoughts: Carrying the Summer Spirit Forward
As the sun sets on another beautiful summer, it’s essential to remember that the end of this season is not a farewell but a gentle transition. The lazy, sun-soaked days might give way to cooler autumn evenings, but the spirit of summer—its warmth, light, and serene pace of life—can continue to live on within us.
Remember to carry these elements of self-care, mindfulness, and wellness into the hustle of life. Like summer, they should not be fleeting but an integral part of our year-round lifestyle. Let the sunshine within you shine brightly, no matter the season, and remember: summer is not just a season but a state of mind. Embrace, live, and carry its radiant spirit in your heart all year.